A unique encounter I had the other day with a long-term neighbor reminded me that this pre-Easter/Lenten season is a time when people often think about their spiritual lives and relationship to God. Although they might not use these words, I believe that they are longing to take next steps toward God. They wonder what they can do to have a closer relationship with Him, to somehow experience Him. . In the effort to equip all of us to do just that as well as help others to do so too, I offer up these 7 tried and true principles of experiencing God that were so straightforwardly articulated by Henry Blackaby. I think they are solidly biblical.
1. God is always at work around you.
2. God pursues a continuing love relationship with you that is real and personal.
3. God invites you to become involved with Him in His work.
4. God speaks by the Holy Spirit through the Bible, prayer, circumstances, and the church to reveal Himself, His purposes, and His ways.
5. God’s invitation for you to work with Him always leads you to a crisis of belief that requires faith and action.
6. You must make major adjustments in your life to join God in what He is doing.
7. You come to know God by experience as you obey Him and He accomplishes His work through you.
I’m praying that Easter 2015 is the year that God’s work around us becomes God’s work in us and through us.