In the wake of the approximately 130 people on Sunday who indicated to God that they’re committed to being a better “church member” over the next 12 months than they were the last 12 months, I want to share the top 10 suggested ways you can just that.
10. Become an actual member – currently only about 1/3 of our Sunday morning attendance has actually taken on the responsibility of being a full-fledge member. Plan on attending the next Discovering Hope class.
9. Attend – recent statistics show that “regular attendance” has slipped from being there 2/3 of the time to 1/2 the time, so just committing to attending 3 Sundays out of 4 is huge.
8. Be on time – what a nice gesture to others to not interrupt their worship experience by having to climb over them because you got there 10 minutes late. And given that we only spend about 70 minutes in corporate worship each week, missing 10 minutes is missing more than 10%.
7. Be the first to take the worst – every single one of us can have the privilege of taking the worst parking spot and the worst seat (forward and to the middle) before someone else is forced to.
6. Sing – nothing else encourages others to sing out in devotion to God like seeing others doing so. It doesn’t matter how you sound, God only asks us to make a joyful noise.
5. Act before your asked – if you see something that needs to be done, then do it. You cannot imagine what an encouragement it is to those who lead when people actually take the initiative in asking to volunteer. Serving is a powerful thing.
4. Financially give more – since our facility and staff costs are fixed, every extra dollar you give equips us to invest more in missions and ministry.
3. Pray – even an extra minute a day praying for the staff, church leaders, and Hope’s impact can make a kingdom sized difference.
2. Be a friend – in whatever fashion you make friendships, make at least one new one this year as well as strengthen your old ones. The easiest way to do that is probable join a Life Group or invite some to join you at Church or join your Life Group.
1. Grow – you will make Hope a better church if you simply become a better Christian. Try setting aside some spiritually detrimental habit in your life and replace it with a spiritually beneficial one.
I can’t wait to see how God uses all of this.